Situated in the Southwest Michigan countryside, in 65 acres of woods, with a pond and a lake, it’s impossible to miss the signs of spring at Castle in the Country. As the warmer weather is a welcome returning guest, Castle in the Country is quickly becoming a bird watcher’s haven and you don’t have to go far from your comfortable and romantic suite to hear and see a wide variety of our feathered friends. You’ll find them busily building their nests among those of the squirrels. Even with the melting snow, a good pair of galoshes will make the trails perfect for a hand-in-hand walk. Join the wildlife in waking up from your winter hibernation and breathe in the fresh air filled with the lively scent of spring.
A walk in the woods brings you to our private lake which provides an intimate and serene atmosphere. Our screen house has a double lounge chair where you can spend time relaxing together with nature all around you. It’s said that a healthy pond is home to at least 5 different frog varieties, and during a springtime visit you’re likely to hear the bullfrogs droning out a wave-effect echo around the pond or the shrill cheep of the green frogs as they spring into the murky waters edge. Our Castle Keep Building offers great views of our lily pond and you’ll be able to enjoy the peace and quiet from your perch on a cozy chair with a cup of tea or coffee and a good book in hand.
Springtime activities and romantic adventures to embark on:
- Biking on the Kal-Haven Trail. Bring your bikes along and head out for countryside bike rides. Herb’s favourite pastime is biking, have a look at his blog for some of his favourite routes in the area. Email us in advance about the amount of miles and the degree of difficulty you want and he’ll give you some suggestions by the time you arrive at the Inn.
- Schedule Horseback Riding at Wild West Ranch -20 minutes drive from the Inn.
- Shop local Farmer’s Markets beginning in May. Ask our Innkeepers for dates and locations of markets in Allegan, Holland, Saugatuck, South Haven and Grand Rapids. All offer the freshest of in- season fruits and vegetables as well as meats, cheeses, honey, herbs, flowers and more.
- Experience Butterflies in Bloom Exhibit at Frederik Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids during the months of March and April. It is the nation’s largest temporary tropical butterfly exhibition where butterflies from around the world fly freely in the Tropical Conservatory.
- Tiptoe through the Tulips and Celebrate Spring’s return at the Tulip Time Festival in Holland during the first week of May. Enjoy Dutch culture, dancing, parades, music, and of course plenty of tulips at this annual festival in Holland, MI.
- Check out our Specials & Packages Page for seasonal Deals and Rates and for adding just the right details for enjoying your getaway to the fullest.
Fresh Springtime Cuisine:
- Four Roses – Plainwell, MI – Their menu changes daily and is made from only the ingredients the chef was able to purchase from local farmers that morning. They also have a lengthy list of desserts, perfect for anyone with a sweet-tooth.
- Salt of the Earth – Fennville, MI – A farm-to-table restaurant, featuring local fresh and organic ingredients that all come from within 50 miles of the restaurant. The menu changes with the seasons and all meals are made from scratch.
- Holland Brewing Company – Holland, MI – Not only do they have carefully crafted beers and spirits, their dining menu is also homemade and features locally grown products, definitely more than just the typical pub food.
- Crane’s Pie Pantry – Fennville, MI – Nestled on a farm of lush fruit orchards, find a comfort-food menu of homemade soups, sandwiches, breads, and fruit pies. Have dessert there, or purchase a pie to bring home with you. If you find yourself in Holland for the day, find their home-made goodness at Crane’s in the City.
Spring is the perfect time of year to enjoy all of the excitement about the awakening of nature outdoors, but still be able to retire to your suite at the end of the day to relax in your 2 person whirlpool tub with a cozy fireplace.
Come out to the Country where “a day in the Country is worth a month in town.”