Thinking about bringing your sweetheart on a getaway to Castle in the Country? Take our suggestions for some Foodie experiences in the nearby town of Kalamazoo. With a “university town” vibe, the downtown area of Kalamazoo makes for a perfect day-trip for the guests of Castle in the Country during anytime of the year.
Where To Eat & Drink…
- For the couple who really enjoys sharing a good micro-brew, Kalamazoo was ranked #2 Beer City in USA in Examiner’s annual poll. A few of our favorites include Bell’s Brewery – a brewery famed for their seasonal beer Oberon released at the end of March each year.
- The Beer Exchange makes for a great experience as the bar is run like the stock market. With 28 draft beers from around the world rotating on tap through out the year, the pricing is all based on real-time sales that update every hour making for an ever-evolving happy hour. Occasionally the “market crashes” and beer prices are brought down to their all-time lowest prices.
- Food Dance, a “farm to table” restaurant located on the northeast corner of Michigan and Pitcher St.. We highly recommend and our guests rave about this best of the best restaurant where everything is fresh and organic. Their seasonal menu always features many vegetarian and Gluten-free choices. Open Monday – Saturday and for brunch only on Sunday. If you’d like, visit their Open Table Reservation system or Book our Celebration or Royal Treatment package and we’ll make your reservation on the date and time you choose and have your dinner voucher waiting for you. After enjoying a great meal, stop in their Market to grab one of their delicious desserts and a bottle of wine or some specialty food items to bring back and enjoy in your room at Castle in the Country.
- Monaco Bay is a piano bar offering an upbeat, jazzy setting for a romantic evening, enjoying the tunes of live music and sometimes featuring dueling pianos. Each Friday and Saturday Monaco Bay has Dinner and a Show (early show at 7pm and late show at 9pm) where couples enjoy dinner, drinks, and live music. Reservations may be made online at their website
What To Do…
- Kalamazoo offers a wide variety of shopping from vibrant and eclectic venues and boutiques as well as malls and retail outlets.
- The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is just the beginning of the many art venues found in Kalamazoo. You’ll find 10 live performance theaters and many funky galleries to peruse.
- Catch Dinner and a Movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
- Live performance plays, musicals, and comedy acts can be seen at the Miller Auditorium or at Farmers Alley Theatre
Whether rain, snow, or shine, Kalamazoo is a hip and vibrant town with plenty of indoor hangouts to escape the weather, and a beautiful downtown area with easily accessible pubs, restaurants and art venues.
For more fantastic day-trip towns in Southwest Michigan and within a scenic 30 minute drive from Castle in the Country, check out our blog posts about Holland and Saugatuck and Douglas Michigan. After a day-trip outing to the nearby towns you’ll be able to enjoy the finest food and beverages while you relax on the Castle’s property!