Aahh, the joys of summer: strawberries, rhubarb, blueberries, cherries… Our Southwest Michigan location is prime for summer’s bounty. Herb and his kitchen mates love turning the seasons’ harvests into culinary delights. Here is our much adored Strawberry-Rhubarb Filled Crepes recipe. Enjoy this sweet and delicious taste of Castle in the Country at home!
Makes: 10; Serves: 5
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1-½ Cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Qt. fresh strawberries sliced
- 4 Stalks rhubarb cut into ½ inch slices
- ½ Cup sugar
- 1 Large orange, zested and juiced
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 5 oz. crème fraiche
- Powdered Sugar for serving
- Preheat 10-inch nonstick skillet over low heat for at least 10 minutes.
- Then, combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk.
- Next, combine milk and eggs in separate bowl and whisk.
- Add ½ of the milk-egg mixture to the dry ingredients, mix thoroughly, add the melted butter and whisk.
- Add remaining milk-egg mixture and whisk.
- Increase heat to medium-high, lightly oil pan, pour ¼ Cup batter onto one side of pan and tilt and shake until batter covers entire pan.
- Flip when edges turn brown, and cook 20-30 seconds more.
- Combine all ingredients except cornstarch in a large saucepan and simmer over low heat until rhubarb has softened.
- Next, mix cornstarch with a few teaspoons of water until it forms a slurry.
- Then, add cornstarch to fruit mixture and cook until thickened.
- Spread 1 Tbsp. Crème Fraiche and 2 oz. filling onto each crepe and roll into a tube.
- Plate 2 crepes and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Enjoy this strawberry-rhubarb filled crepes recipe! Let us know how they turned out or if you have any questions in the comment section below.