Mother Nature does not always cooperate with our travel plans. But that’s okay. There is plenty to do both indoors and out in our neck of the woods. So, we’ve put together a list of the top 10 indoor activities in Southwest Michigan. What’s more, this list works great for any time of weather at any time of year. Whether it’s too wet, cold, snowy, or hot, you can always enjoy a fun-filled day.
#1 – Stay “Inn” at Castle in the Country
First on our list is an overnight stay at Castle in the Country. Our luxurious bed and breakfast located near the lakeside towns of Holland, South Haven, and Saugatuck, is the perfect place to spend indoors. For starters, our well-appointed guest rooms offer plenty of room to rest and relax, cozy up by the fire, soak in the tub, read a book, watch a movie, sip a beverage, or engage in meaningful conversation with your sweetheart.
Also on the property is our spacious dining room, which offers individual tables where couples can experience a delicious gourmet breakfast each morning, or a romantic dinner as part of our Celebration Experience package. During the warmer months, take cover in the screened porch or gazebo where you will appreciate the pretty views of our 65-acre property, including a pond, a lake, and gorgeous woods.
#2 – Cozy Up at a Coffee Shop
When you’re ready to get out but you still want to stay warm and dry, check out our local coffee shops and cafes. Coffee shops are the perfect place to spend some time when the weather is less than ideal. Many offer sweet somethings to order with your favorite hot beverage. Find a cozy corner where you can just talk and be together, reminiscing about fond memories and dreaming about the future.
- Mugshots Coffeehouse, Allegan
- Uncommon Coffee Roasters, Saugatuck
- Root Cafe, Coffeehouse & Spirits, Fennville
Of course, Biggby and Starbucks fans are still able to order their favorite cup of java in nearby Saugatuck and Plainwell.
#3 – Explore a Museum
Spending a few hours out and about on a cold or rainy day is easy when you’re surrounded by fascinating and interactive exhibits. Southwest Michigan offers museums for every sort of enthusiast, including trains, planes, and automobiles.
- Michigan Flywheelers Museum, South Haven
- Bloomingdale Depot Museum, Bloomingdale
- Kalamazoo Valley Museum, Kalamazoo
- Gilmore Car Museum, Kalamazoo
- Air Zoo Aerospace & Science Museum, Kalamazoo
#4 – Escape in a Bookstore
Cold or rainy days are synonymous with a hot cuppa and a good book. There’s just something about walking into a warm and cozy bookstore where the scent of books and the aroma of freshly-brewed coffee make you want to curl up and escape into the pages of a good read. Southwest Michigan has plenty of spots to find new or used books, from nooks to mega stores. What’s more, you’re welcome to borrow one of our books during your stay at the Castle, located in the hallway of our Castle Keep building.
- The Book Nook, Saugatuck
- Singapore Bank Bookstore, Saugatuck
- Black River Books, South Haven
- Book Mart, Holland
- Readers World, Holland
- The Bluestocking Bookshop, Holland
- Barnes & Noble, Holland
- Between the Covers, Holland
#5 – Relax at the Spa
Located in our Castle Keep building, the Royal Retreat Spa Room features soft lighting, relaxing music, a private setting, and all the essentials for a restorative massage. While booking your stay, schedule a 60- or 90-minute couple’s massage with one of our licensed massage therapists. Designed exclusively for our guests, our spa services are included in our romantic Royal Treatment or Celebration Experience packages, or may be added à la carte by speaking with our innkeepers.
#6 – Browse an Art Gallery
The quaint towns situated on the shores of mighty Lake Michigan are teeming with charming art galleries for avid art lovers. Some of the galleries are only open during the season, so be sure to plan ahead. Here is just a sample of the unique galleries to explore.
- Blue Coast Artists, Fennville
- South Haven Center for the Arts, South Haven
- Water Street Gallery, Saugatuck
- J. Petter Galleries, Saugatuck
#7 – Enjoy Live Music
Nearby, you’ll discover a variety of venues, from pubs to auditoriums, where you can watch and listen to an impressive and diverse line-up of live music for a fun night of entertainment.
#8 – Go to the Theater
If live theater is more to your liking, then check out the following venues. They range from the intimacy of the Holland Community Theatre to the impressive Miller Auditorium in Kalamazoo. Get dressed up, make reservations at a romantic restaurant, and then enjoy the show!
- Holland Community Theatre, Holland
- Saugatuck Center for the Arts, Saugatuck
- Hope Summer Repertory Theatre, Holland
- Park Theatre, Holland
- The Miller Auditorium, Kalamazoo
- Kalamazoo Civic Theatre, Kalamazoo
- Center Stage Theatre Inside Cornstalk Community Auditorium, Kalamazoo
#9 – Savor a Wine Tasting
A trip to Southwest Michigan would not be complete without a visit to one of our local award-winning wineries. Michigan wine has made quite a name for itself thanks to the climate and abundance of fruit orchards. Come taste the Michigan varietals and find a favorite (or two) to buy. Many wineries sell souvenir wine glasses, perfect to sip and savor your new red, white or blush in the comfort and privacy of your luxurious guest room at the Castle.
- Fenn Valley Vineyards, Fennville
- Modales Wines, Fennville
- St. Julian Winery & Distillery, Paw Paw
- Warner Vineyards, South Haven, Holland, Paw Paw
These are just a few of our local favorites. Check out our blog post about the top 7 wineries in Southwest Michigan to learn more.
#10 – Go Out to Eat
Just imagine sitting together in the corner of a romantic restaurant near the flame of a flickering candle as you share fine wine, delicious food, and engaging conversation. Or perhaps your ideal dinner for two is at a brew pub with a flight of flavors, great tunes, and a fun atmosphere. Either way, Kalamazoo and the Saugatuck area has plenty of fine dining establishments from which to choose. Many feature locally-sourced and in-season menu options. Holland is also hopping with casual restaurants and brew pubs. Here are just a few to whet your appetite.
- Salt of the Earth, Fennville
- Choose from a menu featuring authentic Midwest American rustic food at this popular farm-to-table restaurant.
- Butch’s Dry Dock, Holland
- Reservations are highly recommended if you want to try their homemade sourdough bread, black garlic Caesar salad, or almond crusted chicken.
- The Tap Room, Holland
- Serving good food and good drinks since 1952, this local landmark is the spot to dine if you’re looking for a fun dinner option.
- Tripelroot, Holland
- Featuring beer on tap, wine-cider seltzers, hot soup, and fresh eats, this unique brewpub, deli, and market is a casual and comfortable place to sip, eat and talk. No reservations or TVs.
- Food Dance, Kalamazoo
- Reserve your table for an evening of the freshest menu items in a warm and relaxing atmosphere.
As you plan your next getaway, don’t let the weather interfere. You will relish every minute of your stay at Castle in the Country. If you want to venture out, then this list of the top 10 indoor activities in Southwest Michigan will ensure that you have plenty to see, taste, and do!