Looking for things to do in Saugatuck-Douglas Michgian? We can help! The quaint, artisan beach town of Saugatuck, Michigan is just under 30 miles northwest of Castle in the Country and a wonderful day trip filled with wineries, boutiques, and scenic Lake Michigan beaches. Follow our suggestions to make the best of your romantic couple’s summer getaway in Michigan. A stroll down the streets of Saugatuck or the sister village of Douglas, will fill your shopping bag with antiques, art, clothing, and unique souvenirs of the classic “Cape Cod of the Midwest” experience. This most popular town in Southwest Michigan offers great spots for the real “foodie” and entices our guests into making it a day (or two) worth of experiences tasting wine, craft beers, oil & vinegar, seasonings shops, tea or coffee house cafes.
Southwest Michigan Wineries
Several of Michigan’s largest wine producers have tasting rooms that dot the streets of Saugatuck, Here’s two of our Favorites:
- Tabor Hill Wine Port – located right on Butler St. in downtown Saugatuck, the Tasting Room of Tabor Hill Winery is a perfect spot for sampling 5 free tastes.
- Fenn Valley Wine Tasting Room – take along our Coupon for two FREE logo glasses with any purchase of wine or sample your own bottle of FennValley’s best when you add the Royal Treatment or the Celebration Package at Castle in the Country.
Southwest Michigan Breweries
- Saugatuck Brewing Company offers tastes of their Craft Beer along with a light menu of pub fare and for an added experience why not create your own personalized brew?
Southwest Michigan Restaurants
For a bite to eat for lunch or just a casual dinner we recommend:
- Mermaid Bar and Grill is located on Water St. and has a beautiful outdoor patio overlooking the waterfront. Their menu is varied with steak, pastas, burgers and salads and the view you’ll enjoy is of the boat traffic coming and going from the marina and people watching as they stroll along the boardwalk.
- Uncommon Grounds Coffee House will lure you in just by the heavenly scents of the freshly roasted coffee beans. The amazing baked goods and casual, jazzy atmosphere will make it a great place to stop and soak up the local vibe.
- Phil’s Bar & Grille is right on Butler St. and offers great food within this local favorite setting. Open year round it is always offering up great food and drinks.
- Just over the bridge on Bluestar Highway (also called A2) don’t miss the charming village of Douglas.
- Everyday People Cafe is unmistakably the best restaurant in the Saugatuck-Douglas area. Their creative chefs are always sure to please the most discriminating tastes for an amazing Dinner experience.
- Wild Dog Grille offers just a bit more casual but with all the focus in the right place on great ingredients prepared thoughtfully. During the summer time their outdoor patio on Center st. is a perfect place, tucked into a beautiful space and providing a great menu for burgers, sandwiches or dinner.
Be sure to keep your eyes peeled as you roam the streets or maybe stop into one of the many art galleries and studios to see the works of several local artists as well…
Southwest Michigan Beaches
As Saugatuck lies right on the shore of Lake Michigan, the landscape is signature West Michigan. The Saugatuck Dunes State Park can provide hours of entertainment as you hike across them, go on an adventurous dune ride, or simply sit among them and take in the natural surroundings. One can hardly forgo a swim in Lake Michigan when on a warm weather vacation in West Michigan, Oval Beach is a great place to do this – it’s like an ocean without the salt! In addition to swimming, or just relaxing on the beach, charter boat fishing can also be arranged via various local captains in the area.
Southwest Michigan Accommodations
At the end of the day, before heading back to your luxurious Allegan B&B suite at the Castle, watch the sunset over Lake Michigan – a truly breathtaking sight to see.