You may have heard of Holland, Michigan for it’s Tulip Festival in May, but it’s a great town for couples to explore year-round, especially while staying at our bed and breakfast near Holland, MI. With two lake shores (Lake Michigan & Lake Macatawa), and six blocks of shops and restaurants, Holland makes for a perfect day trip destination during your stay at Castle in the Country. Located within a 30 minute drive from our Allegan, MI B&B, the downtown area has a variety of boutique shops, home accessory stores, outdoor outfitters or bicycle shops. After shopping, venture into any one of a number of cafes, restaurants, or brew pubs. Recharge with a cup of coffee. Relax with a glass of Michigan craft beer or wine. Window-shopping or just people watching is a favorite pastime along 8th street. They’re heated sidewalks make this the perfect place to enjoy any season of the year.
Favorite Places in Downtown Holland
- Fustini’s Oil and Vinegar specialty shop for tasting and buying a variety of olive oils and balsamic vinegars infused with many different spices, herbs, and fruits.
- The Seasoned Home where you can find shelves upon shelves of spices from around the world and a knowledgeable staff that is ready to offer advice on which spices to use to add spectacular flavor to any dish.
- The Holland Farmer’s Market is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays during the months of May-December. Find an assortment of fresh produce from the area, fresh flowers, pumpkins and gourds for fall. During the holidays, visit the Christmas market to find gifts for loved ones and, of course, yourselves.
- Warner’s Wine Tasting Room where guests have a chance to taste some of the 22+ wines made by the oldest winery in Michigan.
- New Holland Brewing Company – Brew Pub & Restaurant to enjoy an artisan craft beer including, but not limited to, their very own “Dragon’s Milk”. On Saturday afternoons, go on an educational tour of their production facility, or enjoy their outdoor Bier Garden.
- Ten local Art Galleries – many couples think of Saugatuck when they think of art in Southwest Michigan, but Holland is home to plenty of art galleries as well. Many of them are on 8th Street right in the main downtown area, but there are also a few scattered about the town as well.
Favorite Restaurants in Holland
- Butch’s Drydock offers a fine-dining experience for a romantic dinner while celebrating the union between food and drink. Today Butch’s is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide to hold the Wine Spectators Best of Award of Excellence. Enjoy a glass with your meal. Browse the shelves of the wine cellar, stocked with more than 700 wines from around the globe. Purchase a bottle to enjoy back in your suite at Castle in the Country.
- Curragh’s Irish Pub offers hearty Irish fare in a relaxed environment that encourages great conversation either indoors or outdoor patio dining.
- Boatwerks is located right on the waterfront of Lake Macatawa. They offer good food and an even better view. Outdoor seating on the spacious patio with umbrella tables features views of the water. You can’t go wrong dining inside either. There is a gorgeous view of the waterfront thanks to to floor to ceiling windows.
After you’ve wandered, shopped, dined, and drank, return to your luxurious suite at Castle in the Country. We are the premiere bed and breakfast near Holland, MI. Book now – a romantic and relaxing getaway awaits you!