Our beautiful Fall weather has finally arrived and that means winter is not far behind and with winter comes all those wonderful holiday events. So, at Castle in the Country, we’ve decided to treat our guests to great food, hands-on fun along with special training from a pastry chef, and great recipes for those holiday events! Within the next four months, our very own Assistant Innkeeper, Melina will be teaching cooking classes that will focus on “Just Desserts”. Four classes will be held at the Castle Keep on select Saturday evenings. The Just Desserts package ($250 per couple) may be added to your lodging for couples staying with us for a two or more nights stay, one of which will be the Saturday evening of the class. The package includes:
- Two Castle in the Country Logo Glasses
- A bottle of Fennvalley white or red wine (or sparkling juice)
- Dinner including hearty homemade soup selections and fresh green salad
- Hands-on cooking class
- Amazing handmade Desserts
- Recipes & a Take-Home Gift
The class is taught from 6-8pm by Melina Dimond. Before joining the Castle in the Country Innkeeping team, Melina has been in the culinary industry for over 10 years. After starting her culinary career in Grand Rapids, MI, she graduated with her degree in culinary management and certification in baking and pastry. After graduation, she was the pastry chef at Gerald R. Ford’s Kent Country Club in Grand Rapids. After one year there, she was accepted into the French Pastry School in Chicago, IL with the top scholarship. Graduating then with a specific French baking and pastry certificate, she was an assistant cake artist and baker at the top bakery in southwest Michigan, Bit of Swiss Pastry Shoppe in Stevensville, MI. From her past in working in the front of the house at restaurants and managing small bakery shops, she agrees that this innkeeping position is all inclusive. From innkeeping and working with guests to weddings and being the sole wedding cake artist for Castle in the Country, she is looking forward to showing you her techniques.
The classes each have a different theme. All desserts will show you how to get professional results within your own home and with your own tools.
Here are the listings of the classes and dates they’ll be held:
- November 21, 2015: Pies and Tarts
- Individual Lemon Vanilla bean curd tarts with a Gluten Free nutty almond crust and a torched Italian meringue to top;
- Granny smith and Fuji apple hand pies with Salted Caramel and Cinnamon whipped cream
- December 19, 2015: Holiday Cookies and Candies from around the world
- Dimond Family Caramels
- Pistachio Cranberry Italian Biscotti
- Sinigos Family Baklava
- French Macarons with Peppermint Dark Chocolate Ganache
- January 16, 2016: Flambe’d Desserts
- Banana’s Foster
- Cherries Jubilee
- Served with Pound cake, Crepes or Ice Cream
- Flambe Orange Cinnamon Coffee
- February 6, 2016: Chocolate Lovers
- Chocolate Truffles dipped in all of the fixings
- Chocolate Tart – chocolate cookie crust with salted caramel and Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate Turtles with Pecans and Cashews with rich caramel and milk chocolate
***Any allergies will not be able to be accommodated within the class; but if you do have any questions regarding how to change the recipe to fit an allergy, she would be happy to answer any questions.
Each class will only hold 10 people so book quickly then call 1-888-673-8054 to add the Cooking Class package to your stay!
Take your Saturday night date to a whole new level with this adventure. Perfect for any occasion, anniversary, or birthday to celebrate with dinner and dessert at a beautiful bed and breakfast!