Check our Local Calendar of Events to see what is going on nearby during your stay at our Southwest Michigan Bed and Breakfast!
Dining options nearby our Michigan Inn and Spa are plentiful. We would love to match the perfect dining experience with your needs. We can provide all current menus and can give you insider tips about atmosphere and food quality at each of the restaurants we recommend.
Check out our Within the Kingdom blog to read our most recent restaurant reviews!
Coming from Chicago?
Check out our weekend getaway package!
Things To Do… or Do Nothing At All!
Explore Southwest Michigan or stay and relax on our 65 acres
Your search for the perfect Michigan vacation has come to an end. We’ll help you plan every detail to make your getaway the perfect escape at our beautiful 65-acre country estate!
Our Southwest Michigan Bed and Breakfast is just 6 miles away from the historic town of Allegan, MI and just 30-40 minutes away from Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Saugatuck/Douglas, South Haven, or Holland. Every adventure will lead you through the most scenic countryside as a guest at our Michigan Inn and Spa, but we’ll make sure you don’t follow other tourists around…we’ll pass on our best tips for discovering only the Best of the Best restaurants, wineries, breweries and any other attraction you’d like to enjoy.
When you arrive at our Allegan Bed and Breakfast we’ll provide extensive Concierge service to help familiarize you with the many restaurants, wineries and other attractions in our surrounding area. We prefer to customize our recommendation to each couple when you arrive for check in at the Inn, but if you’d like to do a bit or research yourself before you arrive, here are some of our recommendations for Restaurants on our Adventure Map: (Menus available at Check in w/ our Innkeepers)
Salt of the Earth; located about 20 minutes away in Fennville, MI. Focusing on local and organic ingredients, this rustic eatery is a favorite dinner spot and has been featured on “Food Network”
Food Dance; located about 30 minutes away in Kalamazoo, MI Fine dining restaurant with an extensive menu featuring local and organic ingredients carefully gathered from vendors all across the state. Accommodating Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten Free options, this restaurant delivers amazing food in a beautiful, upscale setting.
Butch’s Dry Dock: Located about 30 minutes away in Holland, MI. Serving only the highest quality food and drink, Butch’s will provide you with the perfect ambiance and atmosphere for your special night.
For more information on our three favorite restaurants, see our blog post, The Best of the Best, and learn how you could experience one of these restaurants during your visit to Castle in the Country!
Brew Pubs: Visit our three fantastic breweries all within a 30 mile radius of our Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn, you can fill your day with good food, cold hand-crafted brews, and great memories.
Visit our “Within the Kingdom” Blog for our suggestions for activities right on-site at our 65 acre country estate or, within easy driving distance for day trips. Focusing on the surrounding 30 mile radius of our Inn and within the popular towns of Saugatuck-Douglas; Holland; South Haven; and Kalamazoo, our blog is written to answer your questions of “What To Do” whether it be winter or summer should you choose Castle in the Country as your destination.
- Spend your time hiking or Snowshoeing through the trails in our very own enchanted forest of 65 wooded acres
- Kayak through the beautiful waters of our own private lake
- Take a jaunt on the paddle boat at our Allegan MI B&B
- Relax in our screened porch and watch the wildlife
- Schedule a side by side couple’s massage in our on-site spa
- Watch cable Flat Screen TV or a newly released DVD in your luxurious suite with whirlpool tub for two and fireplace
- For those of you who need to be “fully connected” while you re-connect with each other, we offer FREE Wi-fi from all common areas and rooms/suites at our Bed and Breakfast in Southwest Michigan.
- Visit our blog for more information about how to spend a Winter day on our property.
- Downhill Skiing at Bittersweet and Timber Ridge
- Wine tasting Southwest Michigan Wine Trail or St. Julian , and Warner Winery. Or visit Fenn Valley Winery and receive two free wine glasses when you present our coupon
- Allegan State Game Area, over 50,000 acres of untouched forested wilderness and cross-country skiing, hiking, or snowshoeing trails. The State Game area maps are available here, but be sure to ask your innkeepers about recommendations and hunting season restrictions. (If you are thinking ahead for springtime, a previous guest, an avid birder, filed this trip report including springtime pictures.)
- Kal-Haven Trail, a 33 mile rails-to-trails pathway connecting the cities of Kalamazoo and South Haven and is ideal for biking. It also is used for both cross-country and snowmobile trails.
- Horseback Riding at Wild West Ranch
- Winter Sleigh Rides at Bittersweet Acres or Wild West Ranch
- Road Bicycling is Herb’s passion. We can help with detailed maps of some awesome rides through the local countryside or hook you up with the many group rides in the area. For more information check out Herb’s blog, Herb Bikes a Lot.
- For Shopping enthusiasts, there are boutique and home accessory shopping opportunities all around, including the April-September antique market held on the last Sunday of each month at the nearby Allegan County Fairgrounds.
- Art abounds along the Lake Michigan coast, the “Third Coast.” Spend a day touring the beautiful countryside, visiting galleries along the way by taking the Blue Coast Artist Tour or ask your Innkeeper for other suggestions and referrals.
- Golf at one of the many exceptional courses such as the Lynx, Cheshire Hills, Clearbrook, Ravines, and more. We can assist with tee times as well.