Couples who escape to Castle in the Country are looking to relax and longing to find quiet and romantic nights away from the busyness of the city or the suburbs. But, after they arrive here, spend a night or two relaxing and taking advantage of all the amenities of our great rooms, experiencing the amazing food, and enjoying the fun activities right here on- site, they’re ready to venture out beyond the Castle Kingdom and our Innkeepers are always ready to give them great suggestions for the best attractions of this part of Southwest Michigan to explore and experience within an easy driving distance of the Inn.
Located within a scenic 30 mile drive, the local towns of Holland, Saugatuck/Douglas, South Haven and Kalamazoo offer a variety of boutique and antique shops, outdoor cafes and beautiful parks. Don’t forget to savor the day and wrap up your daytime adventure with a romantic walk on the beach.
Outdoor Adventure Experiences:
Push yourself for an exhilarating climb up 302 stairs to the summit of Mt. Baldhead and enjoy a rewarding view of Saugatuck/Douglas and the Kalamazoo Lake.
Take a Dune Ride on the Dune Schooners through the picturesque and sandy dunes on the shore of Lake Michigan in Saugatuck. An informed driver will cruise you through the slopes and valleys and happily tell you about the surrounding woodlands-natural habitats of many forms of wildlife.
Biking on the nearby Kal-haven Trail will take couples on a tree-lined path out to the Lake Michigan shore in South Haven or for a smaller route ask the Innkeepers to help you plan your ideal portion of the trail. For the avid bicyclists who are bringing their own bikes, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help you put together your own cycling trip. For advice from our resident Owner and avid bicyclist, check Herb’s bike route suggestions.
Foodie Experiences Galore
There are dozens of places to find the finest farm to table foods made with ingredients that are both locally grown and in season – making for a “foodie” couple’s paradise all within a 30 mile radius of our Inn.
- Butch’s is located in Holland and the 30 minute drive brings you to the perfect fine dining experience for any romantic occasion.
- Salt of the Earth in Fennville is a 20 minute drive to an easygoing atmosphere with an amazing menu, prepared for you from scratch upon order.
- Food Dance, located in Kalamazoo, is a 30 minute drive and features exquisitely prepared meals as well as a market for couples to stop and pick up specialty meats, cheeses, and desserts to bring back to your room.
- Four Roses in Plainwell is a 20-25 minute drive and features an ever-changing menu that is based upon whichever ingredients the chef was able to find at the market that morning. They also feature a Dessert Menu that is nothing short of AMAZING.
- Maude’s Tap House in Otsego is 10 minutes drive. Find an impressive variety of local and non-local craft beers all on tap and ready to pair with phenomenal, yet simple food.
- The Grill House in Allegan is located just 5 minutes down the road from us. They have two restaurants including a casual lounge area with pub food, but they are really known for their steak – where you prepare your own dinner selection by picking out your cut of meat from the butcher’s cooler case and then grilling it on their giant grill with the Grill Master, drink in hand too of course.
Many of our local restaurants serve craft beer and wine from breweries and vineyards in the area. Be sure to ask your server to “re-cork” your bottle of wine and/or provide a Growler of a local craft beer or Hard Cider to take back to the Inn.
Wineries, Brew Pubs and CiderHouse Experiences:
During the day, visit our local wineries, breweries and Ciderhouses to taste samples and take a fun and informative tour.
Wineries & Cider Houses:
- Bell’s Brewery
- The Beer Exchange
- New Holland Brewing Company
- Saugatuck Brewing Company
- Old Mill Brew Pub and Grill
- Plan Your Stay
- Calendar of Events
- Within the Kingdom Blog
- “Things to Check-Out Before Checking-In“
- Adventure Map
Have a wonderful time on your day trip outing from Castle in the Country! We promise to have a wonderful room, great food and a peaceful spot on the property waiting for you when you return!