You may have heard of Holland, Michigan for it’s Tulip Festival in May, but it’s a great town for couples to explore year-round, especially while staying at our bed and breakfast near Holland, MI. With two lake shores (Lake Michigan & Lake Macatawa), and six blocks of shops and restaurants, Holland makes for a perfect day trip destination during your stay at Castle in the Country. Located within a 30 minute drive from our Allegan, MI B&B, the downtown area has a variety of boutique shops, home accessory stores, outdoor outfitters or bicycle shops. After shopping, you can duck into any one of a number of cafes, restaurants or brew pubs where you can recharge with a cup of coffee or sip a glass of Michigan craft beer or wine. Window-shopping or just people watching is a favorite pastime along 8th street and heated sidewalks make this the perfect nearby city to enjoy during any season of the year.
Some of our favorite recommendations for couples to do in Downtown Holland are:
– Fustini’s Oil and Vinegar specialty shop for tasting and buying a variety of olive oils and balsamic vinegars infused with many different spices, herbs, and fruits.
– The Seasoned Home where you can find shelves upon shelves of spices from around the world and a knowledgeable staff that is ready to offer advice on which spices to use to add spectacular flavor to any dish.
-The Holland Farmer’s Market is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays during the months of May-December. Find an assortment of fresh produce from the area, fresh flowers, pumpkins and gourds for fall. During the holidays, visit the Christmas market to find gifts for loved ones and, of course, yourselves.
– Warner’s Wine Tasting Room where guests have a chance to taste some of the 22+ wines made by the oldest winery in Michigan.
– New Holland Brewing Company – Brew Pub & Restaurant to enjoy an artisan craft beer including, but not limited to, their very own “Dragon’s Milk”. On Saturday afternoons, go on an educational tour of their production facility, or enjoy their outdoor Bier Garden.
–Ten local Art Galleries – many couples think of Saugatuck when they think of art in Southwest Michigan, but Holland is home to plenty of art galleries as well. Many of them are on 8th Street right in the main downtown area, but there are also a few scattered about the town as well.
Restaurants we recommend:
– Butch’s Drydock offers a fine-dining experience for a romantic dinner while celebrating the union between food and drink. Today Butch’s is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide to hold the Wine Spectators Best of Award of Excellence. Have a glass with your meal or browse the shelves of the wine cellar, stocked with more than 700 wines from around the globe, and a purchase a bottle to enjoy back in your suite at Castle in the Country.
– Curragh’s Irish Pub offers hearty Irish fare in a relaxed environment that encourages great conversation either indoors or outdoor patio dining.
– Boatwerks, located right on the waterfront of Lake Macatawa, has good food and an even better view. The outdoor seating is a huge patio with umbrella tables overlooking the water during the warmer months, but couples can’t go wrong dining inside either as there is still a perfect view through the massive floor to ceiling windows lining the waterfront.
After you’ve wandered, shopped, satisfied your hunger, and quenched your thirst, come back to your whirlpool/fireplace suite at Castle in the Country, the premiere bed and breakfast near Holland, MI where a romantic and relaxing evening awaits you.