So many of our guests come to Castle in the Country with schedules already made. Many plan to visit the nearby beach towns of Saugatuck, Holland and South Haven and to explore the many activities that we suggest around our Southwest Michigan bed and breakfast, like wine tasting, dune rides or horseback riding. While others come without a schedule and determine to do nothing but relax during their stay.
One of my favorite things to do, when I feel like doing nothing at all, is reading. We’ve noticed more and more of our guests bringing along their e-readers and iPads and finding the perfect place to curl up (or lounge out) with a good book. If you don’t have an e-reader and don’t want to travel with a book, feel free to take a peek at our Book Nook, where we have a wide selection of different books for guests to borrow.
After selecting your book, the key to the best reading experience is finding the perfect place to enjoy it. Here are our top five picks for best reading spots at our Allegan bed and breakfast:
1) Our screened in Gazebo: The Gazebo has great lounge chairs, and a wonderful ceiling fan to keep the evening breeze moving. Recently we had guests mention that they would love to have a light in the gazebo so they could read in the evening. We’ve now put that on our “To Do” List!
2) The Decks of the Castle Keep and under the Iron Gazebo: Many guests like to relax on the decks right near the entrance to the Castle Keep building. Most people who choose this spot become great friends with Miss Abbey, our cat, as this is her favorite place to be!
3) The Castle Porch: Relax in a swing on our wrap around porch surrounded by hanging baskets of flowers and ferns. The wicker love seat and chairs are also a welcome spot for readers.
4) The Screen House: Take a walk out to our private lake and enjoy the peace and quiet in the screen house, where you’ll be able to stretch out on a 2 person chaise lounge.
5) The Adirondack Chairs: We have Adirondacks all around our property and one set is actually a two person Adirondack Love seat. These chairs are easy to move closer to the pond, or up under a shade tree.
No matter which location you choose, you’ll be able to relax and escape to another world without ever leaving our kingdom.